Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Goldfield Mine & Lost Dutchman State Park

While in Mesa one day while everyone else was at work or school I took a couple hours off and drove up to the Supertition Mountains for some birding and picture taking. I ended up at Goldfield Ghost Town (http://www.goldfieldghosttown.com/) as they have several feeder stations for the birds so there are always birds around. Kind of like cheating but I wanted to take some pictures and I'm lazy!! After I spent a couple hours there I went up the road a half a mile to the Lost Dutchman State Park. (http://www.pr.state.az.us/Parks/parkhtml/dutchman). They have a little cactus garden in the front and they have a couple feeders set up there also. It was a good day weather wise and most of the time the sun was out. By the time I was leaving around 1pm it was getting very overcast and a bit cool so I was glad to be leaving!!
Birds I saw:

Goldfield:

Curved billed Thrasher
White Crowned Sparrow
House Finch
House Sparrow
Inca Dove
Mourning Dove
Rock Dove
Cactus Wren
Great Tail Grackle
Abert's Towhee
Roadrunner
Gamble's Quail
Turkey Vulture
Starling
Northern Cardinal

Lost Dutchman added:

Phainopela
Black Throated Sparrow*
Canyon Towhee


Curved-Billed Thrasher Easy to see how they got there names!!



Cactus Wrens are very vocal birds. This one was sitting here singing away.


Northern Cardinal Such a bright red. This is a male,the female is more orange and brown.


Cactus Wrens playing King of the Post


Black-Throated Sparrow
This is a new life bird for me!!!


A couple more Cactus Wrens


A House Finch sitting on the cactus

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures ! If you want to see pictures of European birds, please visit my blog
http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/birdingitalynet/
or click on my name.
Cheers
MP

Spike said...

Very nice pictures. Makes me want to go there next time I'm in AZ.